Ridgeback Cabernet Sauvignon
Ridgeback Cabernet Sauvignon has classic upfront cassis, dark plum and a hint of mint evolves to notes of cigar box and dried herbs. Firm, ripe tannin, wood spice and minerality linger on the finish.
The North – South facing vineyards are grown in deep Oakleaf soils and are vertically shoot positioned and irrigated according to soil moisture availability and leaf water potential schedules. Leaf plucking in the bunch zone enables sufficient sunlight penetration into the canopy ensuring ripe tannins and optimal berry flavour at harvest.
• Grapes were handpicked from 20 March 2012
- The bunches were de-stemmed onto the sorting table with moderate crushing retaining a whole berry component of 40% in the fermenter.
- The mash was then cold soaked overnight at 12 degrees Celsius.
- Fermentation, using a specific commercial yeast strain,was done in open stainless steel fermenters at 24-28 degrees
- Celsius and the ferment lasted 7 days.
- Gentle pump overs were applied twice to three times daily to extract flavour and tannins for structure. Delestage (rack and return) further aided soft tannin extraction.
- The mash was pressed immediately after primary fermentation was completed.
- The wine was then gravity fed to 225l barrels for secondary or Malo-lactic fermentation.
- Maturation in 58% new and 42% second fill French oak barrels lasted for 17 months andthe wine was then lightly filtered prior to bottling.
Classic upfront cassis, dark plum and a hint of mint evolves to notes of cigar box and dried herbs. Firm, ripe tannin, wood spice and minerality linger on the finish.
The bold nature of this Cabernet Sauvignon ideally lends itself to red meat, big and bold Rib eye or Venison.
|Alcohol:||13.5%||Bottling date:||Sept 2013|
|Residual sugar:||2.2g/l||Release:||August 2014|
|Total acidity:||5.9 g/l||Cellaring:||8 to 10 Years|